On the one hand, this story about the relationship between a famous, reclusive writer in need of humanizing and a young genius in need of direction is highly unoriginal, especially coming from Gus Van Sant after Good Will Hunting. On the other hand, there are stirring moments of student-teacher chemistry between Sean Connery, acting like he’s laird of the Bronx, and Rob Brown, whose natural, poised performance offsets Connery’s moments of HOO-ahhh. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Brown, Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Anna Paquin; Director: Gus Van Sant; Author: Mike Rich; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- Why Kim Dickens almost turned down 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- 5 Seconds of Summer explain how Third Eye Blind influenced their new album
- Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith talk about renting porn in new book excerpt
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!