On the one hand, this story about the relationship between a famous, reclusive writer in need of humanizing and a young genius in need of direction is highly unoriginal, especially coming from Gus Van Sant after Good Will Hunting. On the other hand, there are stirring moments of student-teacher chemistry between Sean Connery, acting like he’s laird of the Bronx, and Rob Brown, whose natural, poised performance offsets Connery’s moments of HOO-ahhh. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Brown, Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Anna Paquin; Director: Gus Van Sant; Author: Mike Rich; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!