On the one hand, this story about the relationship between a famous, reclusive writer in need of humanizing and a young genius in need of direction is highly unoriginal, especially coming from Gus Van Sant after Good Will Hunting. On the other hand, there are stirring moments of student-teacher chemistry between Sean Connery, acting like he’s laird of the Bronx, and Rob Brown, whose natural, poised performance offsets Connery’s moments of HOO-ahhh. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Brown, Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Anna Paquin; Director: Gus Van Sant; Author: Mike Rich; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kenny Chesney and Pink share longing duet 'Setting the World on Fire'
- Gwyneth Paltrow is consciously uncoupling from Goop
- How the mysterious world of gymnastics inspired Megan Abbot's new book
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive photos of Negan's victims fighting back
- Stars celebrate Hillary Clinton after powerful DNC speech
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead' S2 to feature 'worst onscreen death in history'
- Andy Grammer on writing for his third album: 'I'm having a blast'