On the one hand, this story about the relationship between a famous, reclusive writer in need of humanizing and a young genius in need of direction is highly unoriginal, especially coming from Gus Van Sant after Good Will Hunting. On the other hand, there are stirring moments of student-teacher chemistry between Sean Connery, acting like he’s laird of the Bronx, and Rob Brown, whose natural, poised performance offsets Connery’s moments of HOO-ahhh. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Brown, Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Anna Paquin; Director: Gus Van Sant; Author: Mike Rich; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel