On the one hand, this story about the relationship between a famous, reclusive writer in need of humanizing and a young genius in need of direction is highly unoriginal, especially coming from Gus Van Sant after Good Will Hunting. On the other hand, there are stirring moments of student-teacher chemistry between Sean Connery, acting like he’s laird of the Bronx, and Rob Brown, whose natural, poised performance offsets Connery’s moments of HOO-ahhh. B-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Brown, Sean Connery, F. Murray Abraham, Anna Paquin; Director: Gus Van Sant; Author: Mike Rich; Producer (group): Columbia Pictures, Laurence Mark Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 136; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt