The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter’s songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much for their own good, push to know why a relationship isn’t working, and try to shake out their frustrations on the dance floor. But most take matters into their own hands, including the long-neglected wife in ”When She’s Gone,” who walks out after years of catering to a man who won’t even miss her. Carpenter also offers a wonderfully evocative song about a comet sighting, ”Halley Came to Jackson,” and the rip-roaring ”Down at the Twist and Shout,” a kind of country-does-Cajun number. One small reservation: This third album isn’t as immediately grabby as last year’s State of the Heart, which had more up-tempo songs to balance the melancholia. A-
Shooting Straight in the Dark The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter's songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much...Shooting Straight in the DarkCountry The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter's songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much...2001-01-25
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mary Chapin Carpenter
Posted January 25 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!