The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter’s songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much for their own good, push to know why a relationship isn’t working, and try to shake out their frustrations on the dance floor. But most take matters into their own hands, including the long-neglected wife in ”When She’s Gone,” who walks out after years of catering to a man who won’t even miss her. Carpenter also offers a wonderfully evocative song about a comet sighting, ”Halley Came to Jackson,” and the rip-roaring ”Down at the Twist and Shout,” a kind of country-does-Cajun number. One small reservation: This third album isn’t as immediately grabby as last year’s State of the Heart, which had more up-tempo songs to balance the melancholia. A-
Shooting Straight in the Dark The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter's songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much...Shooting Straight in the DarkCountry The heroines who populate Mary-Chapin Carpenter's songs in Shooting Straight in the Dark, are a restless breed. They think too much...2001-01-25
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mary Chapin Carpenter
Posted January 25 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Beyoncé, Kanye West, Uma Thurman & More!