Sean Penn’s third film as a director is a psychological murder mystery in which the central character is at once investigator, possible suspect, and angst-ridden carrier of the world’s woes, and damned if Penn doesn’t draw you inside this labyrinth of existential murk. When the mutilated body of an 8-year-old girl is found in the Nevada snow, Jerry Black (Jack Nicholson), a weary, just-retired homicide detective, stays on the case. Nicholson gives a haunting and ravaged performance, and Penn shows real flair — for visual suspense, for holding his actors in the throes of slow-motion breakdown. Yet as the film slides from the intriguing to the contrived, the events acquire a metaphysical vagueness.
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Jack Nicholson, Robin Wright, Benicio Del Toro, Aaron Eckhart, Helen Mirren, Vanessa Redgrave, Mickey Rourke, Sam Shepard, Harry Dean Stanton; Director: Sean Penn; Author: Jerzy Kromolowski, Mary Olsen-Kromolowski; Producer (group): Clyde is Hungry Productions, Franchise Pictures, Morgan Creek Productions; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2001; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted February 9 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!