When planning a remake, it’s best to try to offer something that the original didn’t. Strangely, this attempt at refurbishing Croupier director Mike Hodges’ gritty 1971 revenger doesn’t outdo the original’s sex, violence, and general sickness. Instead, the story of a brutal enforcer’s return home to wreak havoc on his brother’s killer is adorned with car chases, techno beats, and cyberporn merchants. It does make one feel bad for Stallone, though, whose well-intentioned attempts at resurrecting his career continue to be hamstrung by, well, his career. C
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Rachael Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Gretchen Mol, Miranda Richardson, Mickey Rourke, Sylvester Stallone; Director: Stephen Kay; Author: David McKenna; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R
Posted February 16 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Run the Jewels return with new single, 'Talk To Me'
- Wayne Brady is a badass in Syfy's 'Aftermath' — exclusive clip
- Buy Tom Hanks' David S. Pumpkins Halloween costume online
- SyFy announces all-star cast for 'Face off' season 11
- Bill Murray celebrates Chicago Cubs' win and accepts Mark Twain Prize
- Lily Collins details 'difficult' past relationships in upcoming memoir
- 'Insecure' Co-EP: The show is 'culled from our lives'