The second film Liv Ullmann has directed from a script by Ingmar Bergman is a searing close-up epic of adultery. Marianne (Lena Endre), a serenely willful actress, destroys the affectionate and sensual haven of her marriage by commencing an affair with the couple’s good friend (Krister Henriksson). Bergman homes in on the terrifying hidden design of adultery — the way that its very destructiveness can fulfill a couple’s secret need to tear at and caress each other’s wounds. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Lena Endre, Thomas Hanzon, Krister Hendriksson, Michelle Gylemo, Erland Josephson; Director: Liv Ullmann; Author: Ingmar Bergman; Producer (group): SVT Drama; Release Date Limited: 01/26/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 142; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted February 23 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Clarkson performs 'It's Quiet Uptown' on 'TODAY'
- Best of 2016: How 'Deadpool' became a record-breaking viral sensation
- 'Fast 8' trailer gets release date
- James Van Der Beek and Michelle Williams have a 'Dawson's Creek' reunion
- Jimmy Kimmel to host 2017 Oscars ceremony
- Critics' Choice Awards: Which movie should win Best Picture?
- Jude Law alarms everyone as 'The Young Pope' in tense new trailer
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday