It’s fun to see a great stand-up comedian like Chris Rock play a struggling, not-so-great comedian who, having been dispatched to heaven before his time, gets a reprieve on earth in the best available body at the moment – that of an old, pale plutocrat. This version isn’t as divine as the remake Heaven Can Wait or the original Here Comes Mr. Jordan. But the comic’s riffs are predictably taut, enhanced by the notion that although we see him as slim, black Rock, those around him see a lardy white guy who digs DMX’s ”Ruff Ryders’ Anthem.” B-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Chris Rock, Mark Addy, Jennifer Coolidge, Frankie Faison, Greg Germann, Regina King, Eugene Levy, Chazz Palminteri; Director: Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz; Author: Warren Beatty, Louis C.K., Lance Crouther, Ali LeRoi, Elaine May, Chris Rock; Producer (group): 3 Arts Entertainment, Alphaville Films, Paramount Pictures, Village Roadshow; Release Date Wide: 02/16/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 9 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andrew Lincoln tells you what is coming up next on 'The Walking Dead'
- See the Mountain from 'Game of Thrones' toss a keg 23 feet in the air
- Hear Beyoncé on Coldplay's new song
- 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer shatters Marvel viewing record
- See Skrillex's insane video for his remix of GTA's 'Red Lips'
- New Order releases statement about Peter Hook's lawsuit against band
- See the 'Fresh Off The Boat' cast invoke Ang Lee in Golden Globes plea