It’s fun to see a great stand-up comedian like Chris Rock play a struggling, not-so-great comedian who, having been dispatched to heaven before his time, gets a reprieve on earth in the best available body at the moment – that of an old, pale plutocrat. This version isn’t as divine as the remake Heaven Can Wait or the original Here Comes Mr. Jordan. But the comic’s riffs are predictably taut, enhanced by the notion that although we see him as slim, black Rock, those around him see a lardy white guy who digs DMX’s ”Ruff Ryders’ Anthem.” B-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Chris Rock, Mark Addy, Jennifer Coolidge, Frankie Faison, Greg Germann, Regina King, Eugene Levy, Chazz Palminteri; Director: Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz; Author: Warren Beatty, Louis C.K., Lance Crouther, Ali LeRoi, Elaine May, Chris Rock; Producer (group): 3 Arts Entertainment, Alphaville Films, Paramount Pictures, Village Roadshow; Release Date Wide: 02/16/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More