It’s fun to see a great stand-up comedian like Chris Rock play a struggling, not-so-great comedian who, having been dispatched to heaven before his time, gets a reprieve on earth in the best available body at the moment – that of an old, pale plutocrat. This version isn’t as divine as the remake Heaven Can Wait or the original Here Comes Mr. Jordan. But the comic’s riffs are predictably taut, enhanced by the notion that although we see him as slim, black Rock, those around him see a lardy white guy who digs DMX’s ”Ruff Ryders’ Anthem.” B-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Chris Rock, Mark Addy, Jennifer Coolidge, Frankie Faison, Greg Germann, Regina King, Eugene Levy, Chazz Palminteri; Director: Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz; Author: Warren Beatty, Louis C.K., Lance Crouther, Ali LeRoi, Elaine May, Chris Rock; Producer (group): 3 Arts Entertainment, Alphaville Films, Paramount Pictures, Village Roadshow; Release Date Wide: 02/16/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!