It’s thin, flimsy, and cheap – and yet, for fans of boy mage Harry Potter, this limited-edition companion book, benefitting Comic Relief U.K., is indispensable. Penned by Rowling under a silly pseudonym, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them purports to be a doodle-marred text from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. With its richly detailed history lessons and witty debate parsing the differences between ”being” and ”beast,” plus a compendium of 85 magical creatures that’s chockablock with Rowling’s trademark wordplay (”Glumbumble” is a standout), ”Beasts” adds a vital new dimension to the Potter mythology. What could have been a castoff pulses with Rowling’s care for her creation.
(Harry Potter: Mary Grandpre ©Scholastic Inc.)
Genre: Kids and Family, Fiction; Author: J.K. Rowling; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted March 22 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- Soul-sucking dementor wasps, the Harry Potter illustrated edition, and more J.K. Rowling news
- Ty Dolla $ign's Tarantino-y video for 'Only Right' is here
- HBO nabs Duplass brothers' animated show
- Tidal might lose all Sony music
- 'Married' casts Frances Conroy, M.C. Gainey as Judy Greer’s parents
- 'Graceland' first look: 'Entourage' alum Rhys Coiro debuts as new foil
- 'Game of Thrones,' 'Extant,' 'Flash'/'Arrow' spinoff, more fresh TV spoilers
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!