It’s thin, flimsy, and cheap – and yet, for fans of boy mage Harry Potter, this limited-edition companion book, benefitting Comic Relief U.K., is indispensable. Penned by Rowling under a silly pseudonym, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them purports to be a doodle-marred text from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. With its richly detailed history lessons and witty debate parsing the differences between ”being” and ”beast,” plus a compendium of 85 magical creatures that’s chockablock with Rowling’s trademark wordplay (”Glumbumble” is a standout), ”Beasts” adds a vital new dimension to the Potter mythology. What could have been a castoff pulses with Rowling’s care for her creation.
(Harry Potter: Mary Grandpre ©Scholastic Inc.)
Genre: Kids and Family, Fiction; Author: J.K. Rowling; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!