There are two kinds of people: the ones who have seen – and love – Big Trouble in Little China, a John Carpenter kung fu Western buddy Chinese ghost love story, and those poor saps who aren’t burdened with having to try and describe it to the uninitiated. Ignored upon its initial release, this cult genre mosaic follows a swaggering trucker, a restaurateur, and a lawyer through the mystical underground of San Francisco’s Chinatown. The highlight of this two disc set – which also features deleted scenes, an extended ending, trailers, and a 1986 featurette – is the pitch perfect Russell and Carpenter commentary, which delves into Fox’s marketing mishaps, Chinese history, and how Russell’s son did in his hockey game.
(Big Trouble in Little China: Photofest)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Kurt Russell, Kate Burton, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun, James Hong, Victor Wong; Director: John Carpenter; Author: Gary Goldman, W.D. Richter, David Z. Weinstein; Producer (group): TAFT Entertainment Pictures, 20th Century Fox Film Corporation; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 22 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!