There are two kinds of people: the ones who have seen – and love – Big Trouble in Little China, a John Carpenter kung fu Western buddy Chinese ghost love story, and those poor saps who aren’t burdened with having to try and describe it to the uninitiated. Ignored upon its initial release, this cult genre mosaic follows a swaggering trucker, a restaurateur, and a lawyer through the mystical underground of San Francisco’s Chinatown. The highlight of this two disc set – which also features deleted scenes, an extended ending, trailers, and a 1986 featurette – is the pitch perfect Russell and Carpenter commentary, which delves into Fox’s marketing mishaps, Chinese history, and how Russell’s son did in his hockey game.
(Big Trouble in Little China: Photofest)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Kurt Russell, Kate Burton, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun, James Hong, Victor Wong; Director: John Carpenter; Author: Gary Goldman, W.D. Richter, David Z. Weinstein; Producer (group): TAFT Entertainment Pictures, 20th Century Fox Film Corporation; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 22 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!