There are two kinds of people: the ones who have seen – and love – Big Trouble in Little China, a John Carpenter kung fu Western buddy Chinese ghost love story, and those poor saps who aren’t burdened with having to try and describe it to the uninitiated. Ignored upon its initial release, this cult genre mosaic follows a swaggering trucker, a restaurateur, and a lawyer through the mystical underground of San Francisco’s Chinatown. The highlight of this two disc set – which also features deleted scenes, an extended ending, trailers, and a 1986 featurette – is the pitch perfect Russell and Carpenter commentary, which delves into Fox’s marketing mishaps, Chinese history, and how Russell’s son did in his hockey game.
(Big Trouble in Little China: Photofest)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Kurt Russell, Kate Burton, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun, James Hong, Victor Wong; Director: John Carpenter; Author: Gary Goldman, W.D. Richter, David Z. Weinstein; Producer (group): TAFT Entertainment Pictures, 20th Century Fox Film Corporation; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: How 'Avengers' and 'X-Men' introduced the same character differently
- Chris Brown named a suspect in Las Vegas battery case
- 'Scrubs' stars Zach Braff, Donald Faison to appear on 'Undateable'
- Will Poulter cast as Pennywise in Cary Fukunaga's 'It'
- Jimmy Fallon and Blur sing 'Tender' and it's, well, tender
- Joss Whedon just quit Twitter again
- Barbara Crampton-starring horror movie 'We Are Still Here' to haunt cinemas June 5
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!