There are two kinds of people: the ones who have seen – and love – Big Trouble in Little China, a John Carpenter kung fu Western buddy Chinese ghost love story, and those poor saps who aren’t burdened with having to try and describe it to the uninitiated. Ignored upon its initial release, this cult genre mosaic follows a swaggering trucker, a restaurateur, and a lawyer through the mystical underground of San Francisco’s Chinatown. The highlight of this two disc set – which also features deleted scenes, an extended ending, trailers, and a 1986 featurette – is the pitch perfect Russell and Carpenter commentary, which delves into Fox’s marketing mishaps, Chinese history, and how Russell’s son did in his hockey game.
(Big Trouble in Little China: Photofest)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Kurt Russell, Kate Burton, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun, James Hong, Victor Wong; Director: John Carpenter; Author: Gary Goldman, W.D. Richter, David Z. Weinstein; Producer (group): TAFT Entertainment Pictures, 20th Century Fox Film Corporation; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 22 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday