”I did go from wanting to be someone/ Now I’m drunk and wearing flip-flops on Fifth Avenue,” Wainwright croons on the semiautobiographical title track of his latest, Poses. Unlike the narrator, the songwriter has fulfilled his debut’s potential. With Broadway worthy new standards and a strong supporting cast (Sarah McLachlan producer Pierre Marchand, Propellorheads’ Alex Gifford, former Hole bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur), Wainwright delivers a flawless, flip-flopless performance.
(IM)MATERIAL GIRL Wainwright can't decide if he loves or hates Madonna
Genre: Rock, Folk; Lead Performer: Rufus Wainwright; Guest Performer: Alex Gifford, Pierre Marchand, Melissa Auf Der Maur
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys': Ramse arc 'planned from first minute'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!