Jody (Tyrese Gibson), the strapping, sloe-eyed, 20-year-old protagonist of John Singleton’s ambling yet impassioned film, is, by any definition, a bum. Jobless and pleasure-seeking, with two young children by two different women, he can’t focus on anything but the next moment. The movie is lurching and repetitive, yet Singleton creates such an intricate and painful sense of what’s going on inside Jody that his haphazard days have more fullness, more life, than most movie characters’ tidy arcs. Gibson gives a broodingly responsive performance as a young man who refuses to grow up because it would mean he’d have to stop fighting himself.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tyrese, Angell Conwell, Snoop Dogg, Omar Gooding, Taraji P. Henson, Adrienne-Joi Johnson, Ving Rhames; Director: John Singleton; Author: John Singleton; Producer (group): Sony Pictures Entertainment; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 127; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted July 20 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!