Jody (Tyrese Gibson), the strapping, sloe-eyed, 20-year-old protagonist of John Singleton’s ambling yet impassioned film, is, by any definition, a bum. Jobless and pleasure-seeking, with two young children by two different women, he can’t focus on anything but the next moment. The movie is lurching and repetitive, yet Singleton creates such an intricate and painful sense of what’s going on inside Jody that his haphazard days have more fullness, more life, than most movie characters’ tidy arcs. Gibson gives a broodingly responsive performance as a young man who refuses to grow up because it would mean he’d have to stop fighting himself.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tyrese, Angell Conwell, Snoop Dogg, Omar Gooding, Taraji P. Henson, Adrienne-Joi Johnson, Ving Rhames; Director: John Singleton; Author: John Singleton; Producer (group): Sony Pictures Entertainment; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 127; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted July 20 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big