Who says rock stars can’t improve with age? Mellencamp’s writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial clout. His sense of character, word choice, and candor keep progressing, and he hasn’t lost any of his original skill for melodies and riffs. From his knowing meditation on American isolationism (”Crazy Island”) to his failure in relationships (”Women Seem”), Mellencamp sounds like he’s just hitting his stride.
Cuttin' Heads Who says rock stars can't improve with age? Mellencamp's writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial...Cuttin' Heads Who says rock stars can't improve with age? Mellencamp's writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial...2001-10-19
Lead Performer: John Mellencamp
Posted October 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!