Who says rock stars can’t improve with age? Mellencamp’s writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial clout. His sense of character, word choice, and candor keep progressing, and he hasn’t lost any of his original skill for melodies and riffs. From his knowing meditation on American isolationism (”Crazy Island”) to his failure in relationships (”Women Seem”), Mellencamp sounds like he’s just hitting his stride.
Cuttin' Heads Who says rock stars can't improve with age? Mellencamp's writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial...Cuttin' Heads Who says rock stars can't improve with age? Mellencamp's writing has gotten better in precise proportion to his advancing years and declining commercial...2001-10-19
Lead Performer: John Mellencamp
Posted October 19 2001 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical': Ranking the musical numbers
- A fourth-grade teacher turned his classroom into the ultimate Kanye West tribute
- Wes Craven: A horror legend who pushed limits
- Miley Cyrus was 'cursing in anger' after Nicki Minaj VMA moment
- Lupita Nyong'o, Bernie Sanders among week 2 guests for Stephen Colbert
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!