The title character in Donnie Darko, Richard Kelly’s gangly, shape-shifting psychodrama is succinctly named: ”Donnie” evokes all the American innocence we expect in a Spielbergian suburban universe, circa 1988. ”Darko” represents all that infests the tortured head of this particular sullen boy, a schizophrenic teenager (Jake Gyllenhaal) flailing and failing to find relief amid the ”normal” crises of adolescence. The trouble Donnie causes, then, is partly about being a regular misfit, and partly about hearing voices in his head from a man-size rabbit with a twisted-mask face. (This bad bunny is nothing like the invisible hopper from ”Harvey.”) Kelly, the 26-year-old writer-director of this excitingly original indie vision, shares more artistically with Wes Anderson or Paul Thomas Anderson than he does with Spielberg or John Hughes, but the point is, he’s out on his own here. He swings big – with flair. The terrific ensemble cast includes Mary McDonnell as Donnie’s mother, Maggie Gyllenhaal (sibling of Jake) as his sister, the serenely grave Jena Malone as his girlfriend, and, just right in the role of a cool lit teacher, Drew Barrymore, who was also hip to produce such a marvelous, messed-up antidote to the sitcom alienation of ”American Beauty.”
(Donnie Darko: Dale Robinette)
Genre: Drama, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, Daveigh Chase, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Patrick Swayze, Noah Wyle; Director: Richard Kelly; Author: Richard Kelly; Runtime (in minutes): 122; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Newmarket Capital Group
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!