When discussing rap’s roots, it’s customary to invoke names like Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash. Yet listening to Ludacris’ new album, Word of Mouf, other influences spring to mind—notably, raunchy African-American comedians like Redd Foxx and Rudy Ray Moore, men whose trade it was to make sex sound both filthy and hilarious. With his fashionably foul worldview, Ludacris could indeed be Foxx’s bastard son, and Word often seems like nothing so much as an extended Dolemite routine set to hip-hop beats (courtesy of hot producers like Swizz Beatz, Timbaland, Organized Noize, and others). The first words on the album are ”The royal penis is clean, your highness”—a line, incidentally, from Eddie Murphy’s Coming to America—and, as titles like ”Howhere” and ”Move Bitch” attest, things don’t get any more politically correct than that. There’s some marvelously inventive sexual/sexist wordplay here (most of which, sadly, cannot be reprinted in a family magazine); if you’re inured to hip-hop’s relentless conflation of sex and thuggery, you’ll likely view lines like ”d— to mouth resuscitation” as good, dirty fun. If you’re not—well, buying this album would simply be ludicrous. B
Word Of Mouf When discussing rap's roots, it's customary to invoke names like Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash. Yet listening to Ludacris' new album, Word...Word Of MoufHip-Hop/Rap When discussing rap's roots, it's customary to invoke names like Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash. Yet listening to Ludacris' new album, Word...2001-12-07
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Ludacris; Producer (group): Def Jam
Posted December 7 2001 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...