Tepper, the thin-haired hero of Trillin’s new novel, likes parking his Chevy Malibu on the street and reading the newspaper until the meter runs out. That’s enough for a charming old-time New York story, and Trillin delivers just that – for a New York minute. Then, regrettably, the plucky parker turns into a straight-talking oracle, and a bullying mayor goes after him. Picture the old head-cracking, pre-Person of the Year Rudy Giuliani facing down Chance the Gardener from Being There, only Tepper doesn’t magically walk on water in the end. No, thanks to a mood-killing final twist, it’s more like he spits in your eye.
Tepper Isn't Going Out Tepper, the thin-haired hero of Trillin's new novel, likes parking his Chevy Malibu on the street and reading the newspaper until the meter runs out....Tepper Isn't Going OutFictionCalvin Trillin Tepper, the thin-haired hero of Trillin's new novel, likes parking his Chevy Malibu on the street and reading the newspaper until the meter runs out....2002-01-18
Genre: Fiction; Author: Calvin Trillin
Posted January 18 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Royals': Elizabeth Hurley mocks Hugh Grant in season premiere
- Westworld finale recap in progress: 'The Bicameral Mind'
- 'The Walking Dead': Watch a sneak peek of the midseason finale
- 'Rogue One' creatures highlighted in behind-the-scenes video
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan on Negan terrorizing Carl
- 'The Walking Dead': Chandler Riggs on Carl's biggest episode ever
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big