In The Anniversary Party, Joe (Alan Cumming) and Sally (Jennifer Jason Leigh) are a shakily married Hollywood couple celebrating their sixth anniversary with a party full of high-maintenance friends, neighbors, colleagues, and ex-lovers. The gathering starts out tense and awkward, then emotions turn increasingly naked and raw, as a stellar ensemble (including Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Kline, and Parker Posey) probes the neuroses and agendas of some dozen self-absorbed people. Cumming and Leigh, who wrote and directed Party together, make a surprisingly effective first-time filmmaking team: Their comedy of modern Tinseltown manners is glancingly witty, sneakily sardonic, and, finally, hauntingly sad. B+
(The Anniversary Party: Peter Sorel)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jane Adams, Mina Badie, Jennifer Beals, Phoebe Cates, John Benjamin Hickey, Kevin Kline, Denis O'Hare, Gwyneth Paltrow, Parker Posey, John C. Reilly, Blair Tefkin; Director: Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh; Author: Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh; Producer (group): Fine Line Features, Ghoulardi Film Company; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Fine Line Features
Posted February 8 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters