A sleaze-bucket Hollywood producer (Paul Giamatti) steals a short story written by Jason (Frankie Muniz), a 14-year-old compulsive liar, and uses it as the basis for his new film. That premise probably says more about the way that bad comedies get packaged these days than the creators of Big Fat Liar intended. To prove that he’s an upright kid after all, Jason journeys to the West Coast and proceeds to humiliate the producer into owning up to his theft. He does this primarily by filling the scoundrel’s swimming pool and shampoo tube with brightly colored ink, thus setting up the central ”gag” of this noisy, frantic dud: Paul Giamatti, with blue skin and orange hair, racing around L.A. in the kind of bug-eyed apoplectic sputter that no actor has done half as well as Curly Howard. How appealing is Muniz, taking a break from ”Malcolm in the Middle,” a day job he should by no means let go of? Let’s call him the next-generation Fred Savage. D
(Big Fat Liar: Sam Urdank)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Amanda Bynes, Frankie Muniz, Amanda Detmer, Donald Faison, Paul Giamatti; Director: Shawn Levy; Author: Dan Schneider; Release Date Wide: 02/08/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted February 15 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Saget says Bill Cosby's reputation is now 'tarnished'
- 'The Hateful Eight' cast and crew nerds-out on 70 mm 'road show' cut
- John Stamos sentenced to 3 years probation for DUI
- Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante releases free new music
- Stevie Wonder and Andra Day cover a Christmas classic in new Apple commercial
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 6, 'Three Monkeys'
- Michael B. Jordan on boxing in 'Creed': 'Every punch is a line'
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year