Earthy Frances Lennox tends to a hoard of teens – her two sons and their smug friends – in a rambling London home. It’s the ’60s, and the kid crowd is growing fatuous on visions of a perfect world. Over the next few decades communism, feminism, and the plight of Africa all become fodder for these often badly behaved do-gooders. In depicting the restless, raucous group (with sensible Frances as its stable foil), Lessing reveals humanity’s darkest side: It’s not sweeping brutality that keeps us from grace, but a swarming, ambitious pettiness. Fans of Lessing’s autobiographical work will plumb few clues here, but they will revel in the grand-scale writing. Wonderfully ripe characters – bitter, vengeful, kind – are raised, ruined, killed off, or written off by Lessing with all the clear-eyed objectivity of a young god playing house.
The Sweetest Dream Earthy Frances Lennox tends to a hoard of teens -- her two sons and their smug friends -- in a rambling London home. It's the '60s, and the kid crowd...The Sweetest DreamFictionDoris Lessing Earthy Frances Lennox tends to a hoard of teens -- her two sons and their smug friends -- in a rambling London home. It's the '60s, and the kid crowd...2002-03-08
Genre: Fiction; Author: Doris Lessing
Posted March 8 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- 'Major League' star Margaret Whitton dies at 67
- 'Supergirl': Will we ever meet Earth-1 Kara Danvers?
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday