Dr. Seuss has never been described as shagadelic, but that may change. Austin Powers star Mike Myers is now expected to headline the big-screen, live-action version of The Cat in the Hat. Producer Brian Grazer, who got into a rather public catfight with Myers after the actor abandoned the Grazer project Dieter, denies that Myers’ participation is a make-good. Instead, he’s focusing on what makes Myers the cat’s meow. ”His irreverence works very well with the Seussian child sensibilities,” says Grazer, adding that Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel, approves of the casting. ”Having Mike puts the story on steroids.” No director has been named for the film, which Grazer hopes to begin shooting this fall for release in summer 2003. (Myers’ rep could not be reached for comment.) Replacing Tim Allen – who exited to work on The Santa Clause 2 – Myers will undergo prosthetic transformations by makeup guru Rick Baker. But unlike Jim Carrey’s The Grinch, Cat isn’t just kids’ stuff. ”I think of him like Bluto, the character [John] Belushi played in Animal House,” Grazer says. ”He took the characters on a ride more intense than anyone expected, and that’s what the Cat does.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!