Dr. Seuss has never been described as shagadelic, but that may change. Austin Powers star Mike Myers is now expected to headline the big-screen, live-action version of The Cat in the Hat. Producer Brian Grazer, who got into a rather public catfight with Myers after the actor abandoned the Grazer project Dieter, denies that Myers’ participation is a make-good. Instead, he’s focusing on what makes Myers the cat’s meow. ”His irreverence works very well with the Seussian child sensibilities,” says Grazer, adding that Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel, approves of the casting. ”Having Mike puts the story on steroids.” No director has been named for the film, which Grazer hopes to begin shooting this fall for release in summer 2003. (Myers’ rep could not be reached for comment.) Replacing Tim Allen – who exited to work on The Santa Clause 2 – Myers will undergo prosthetic transformations by makeup guru Rick Baker. But unlike Jim Carrey’s The Grinch, Cat isn’t just kids’ stuff. ”I think of him like Bluto, the character [John] Belushi played in Animal House,” Grazer says. ”He took the characters on a ride more intense than anyone expected, and that’s what the Cat does.”
Posted March 15 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cannes 2015: Jacques Audiard's 'Dheepan' wins the Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!