Dr. Seuss has never been described as shagadelic, but that may change. Austin Powers star Mike Myers is now expected to headline the big-screen, live-action version of The Cat in the Hat. Producer Brian Grazer, who got into a rather public catfight with Myers after the actor abandoned the Grazer project Dieter, denies that Myers’ participation is a make-good. Instead, he’s focusing on what makes Myers the cat’s meow. ”His irreverence works very well with the Seussian child sensibilities,” says Grazer, adding that Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel, approves of the casting. ”Having Mike puts the story on steroids.” No director has been named for the film, which Grazer hopes to begin shooting this fall for release in summer 2003. (Myers’ rep could not be reached for comment.) Replacing Tim Allen – who exited to work on The Santa Clause 2 – Myers will undergo prosthetic transformations by makeup guru Rick Baker. But unlike Jim Carrey’s The Grinch, Cat isn’t just kids’ stuff. ”I think of him like Bluto, the character [John] Belushi played in Animal House,” Grazer says. ”He took the characters on a ride more intense than anyone expected, and that’s what the Cat does.”
Posted March 15 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lifetime making Britney Spears biopic
- Delta to stop airing Chris Rock special containing anti-gay slur
- Donald Trump slams famous Hillary supporters as 'not hot anymore'
- 'Stranger Things' and 'Parks & Rec': Jean-Ralphio is Steve's son, star says
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars': Three queens spill the tea on season 2 twist
- 'Mr. Robot': When a big twist isn't really a twist at all
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...