This British remake of the 1974 Burt Reynolds prison-football rouser The Longest Yard is suffused with the British cult of soccer as the ultimate in raw gladiatorial clash. After too many Full Montys, though, the whole notion of a bunch of ragged, loudmouthed ruffians who put aside their differences to accomplish a goal has come to look like a coy ritual of emasculation. Vinnie Jones, in the Reynolds role, has a thuggish command – he’s like Clive Owen reborn as a meanly desiccated hulk.
Genre: Sports; Starring: Vinnie Jones, Jason Statham, Vas Blackwood, Danny Dyer, Jason Flemyng, David Hemmings; Director: Barry Skolnick; Author: Charlie Fletcher; Release Date Limited: 02/22/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted March 15 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- Drake is releasing more new music in December
- Charlie Puth cancels remainder of tour due to sickness
- Universal Studios Japan is getting an entire 'Minions'-themed area
- President Obama dances to 'Hotline Bling' with Usher, Janelle Monáe
- Bradley Cooper visited Lady Gaga on the set of 'Saturday Night Live'
- Viola Davis to campaign in supporting actress category for 'Fences'
- DJ Khaled documented his son's birth on Snapchat