Set in the Barneyesque world of children’s television, this comedy of backstabbing overkill tells a moldy-oldie, not-nearly-as-nasty-as-it-thinks-it-is joke. ”Rainbow” Randolph Smiley (Robin Williams), the host of TV’s most highly rated kids’ show, is — get a load of this! — a big fake. Fired in disgrace, he takes vengeance upon his replacement, Smoochy, a cuddly singsong rhino played in a big fuzzy horned fuchsia suit by Sheldon Mopes (Edward Norton), a genial do-gooder. The director, Danny DeVito, hits you over the head with his thudding misanthropic bombast, and Adam Resnick’s script is so precious in its purple rage that it sounds like an overcooked cross between Bruce Vilanch and Clifford Odets. Even Williams’ meant-to-be-shocking rants come with quotation marks. D+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Edward Norton, Robin Williams, Danny DeVito, Catherine Keener, Jon Stewart; Director: Danny DeVito; Author: Adam Resnick; Producer (person): Danny DeVito, Andrew Lazar; Release Date Wide: 03/29/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted April 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'