Flashes of sunny silliness escape the rigors of Clare Peploe’s romance, Triumph of Love, a luxe adaptation of Pierre Marivaux’s 18th-century classic comedy about a headstrong princess intent on winning her sworn enemy’s heart. But between love and madness lies…Mira Sorvino, a self-conscious actress entrusted with a role that calls for more authentic abandon. This nameless royal personage disguises herself as a gentleman to gain entry into the secluded villa where her quarry (Jay Rodan) is being tutored in the treachery of love by a coldly rational philosopher (Ben Kingsley) and his solitary scientist sister (Fiona Shaw), then she reveals or hides her sex as the folly of the moment demands. But while Peploe lays on a lot of visual and aural jokes (including shots of a modern-day theater audience and musical reverb from Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour), and while canny Kingsley and Shaw gaily provide the exaggerated swoons, it’s ultimately folly to believe that such a wan personage proceeds to inflame and seduce the whole household.
(Triumph of Love: Sergio Strizzi)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Fiona Shaw, Mira Sorvino, Ben Kingsley; Director: Clare Peploe; Author: Clare Peploe; Release Date Limited: 04/17/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted April 17 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- 6 show-stopping highlights from 'VH1 Divas: Unsilent Night'
- Twitter's #MakeABandLazy helps musicians settle in for a nap
- Elton John confirms there is 'no truth' to retirement rumors
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big