Skate Accomli When Busta Rhymes urged a throng of exuberant fans to ”Break Ya Neck” at the Beyond 2002 Super Festival in Miami, held April 12-14, no one imagined he was serious. But that’s exactly what a group of athletes — performing stunts on a half-pipe and motocross ramp — seemed intent on doing just a few hundred yards away. Music and action sports (”extreme sports” is apparently passe) have always been closely linked, but events such as Beyond 2002 and skateboarder Tony Hawk’s upcoming Boom Boom HuckJam are hitting the big time. At the Miami festival, Rhymes, OutKast, the Offspring, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Fatboy Slim, and Stone Temple Pilots shared the bill with a diverse array of skateboarders, motocrossers, aerial snowboarders, and paintball teams. At Hawk’s HuckJam, which debuts in Las Vegas on April 27 and starts a 24-city arena tour in the fall, the Offspring and Social Distortion will play sideshow to a tangle of ramps and obstacles that fill the arena floor. ”At most events, the skating and the bikes and stuff are always off to the side,” says Hawk. ”What I want to do is make the riding the focus, and the music incidental.” Along with the U.S. snowboarders’ Olympic performance, these exhibitions are helping make action sports a blockbuster attraction. ”It’s exciting, it’s athletic, it’s entertaining,” says Hawk, a 33-year-old father of three who’s been skating since he was nine. ”I always skated ‘cause I loved it and thought it was legitimate and it should be as popular as it is.” For Offspring frontman Dexter Holland, the music-sports synergy makes sense. ”We kind of got our start through the skater audience in L.A.,” he says. ”It’s a natural thing because the sports are real energetic, and punk music is designed to be a release.”
Posted May 3 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- Marvel's 'Luke Cage' renewed for season 2
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards: See the list of winners
- Hollywood responds to 'Last Tango in Paris' rape scene controversy
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big