Like an Australian version of an Altman film, director Ray Lawrence’s mesmerizing drama examines the overlapping lives of a cross section of middle-aged characters. On the surface, Lantana works as an exquisitely twisty mystery, a la ”Gosford Park,” in which a philandering police detective (an Oscar caliber performance from LaPaglia, for once not masking his Aussie accent) investigates the disappearance of his wife’s shrink (Hershey). On a deeper level, the movie offers a gratifyingly sophisticated meditation on the vagaries of modern marriage.
(Lantana: Lions Gate Films)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Barbara Hershey, Anthony LaPaglia, Geoffrey Rush; Director: Ray Lawrence; Author: Andrew Bovell; Release Date Limited: 12/14/2001; Release Date Wide: 12/21/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted May 21 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Newt Gingrich tells Megyn Kelly she's 'fascinated with sex'
- 'Prisoner of Azkaban': Designers reveal what they snuck into the film
- Lady Gaga crashes James Corden's monologue
- What to Watch Wednesday: 'Rectify' enters its final season
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings, James Corden wears meat dress
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop