The cult of Crispin Glover has only grown as his presence as an artist has shrunk. He’s still pushing the same vintage roboto weirdness – the hair like a shellacked Beatle wig, the terrified-cuckoo stare, the wavery voice that sounds as if it were caught in a tremor of nausea. Except that Glover, back in the ’80s, used to merge with his roles: In ”Back to the Future” and ”River’s Edge,” he was stylized yet true, a Method actor gone madly Kabuki. Now, he just seems like an overgrown moon child desperate to be loved for the very concept of his eccentric being. It doesn’t help that Bartleby is a one-joke movie, and a bad joke at that. The director, Jonathan Parker, takes ”Bartleby the Scrivener,” Herman Melville’s visionary novella about the repressed madness of the stultified modern office worker, and turns it into a no-fizzle episode of ”Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.” Glover, wearing a dark suit and a look of blank worry, is Bartleby, who takes a job as a file clerk and begins to answer every directive with the enigmatic rebel homily, ”I would prefer not to.” It’s no insult to Melville to say that he wrote, in effect, the original ”Dilbert.” This movie, unfortunately, makes ”Dilbert” look like Melville.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Crispin Glover, David Paymer, Seymour Cassel, Maury Chaykin, Glenne Headly, Joe Piscopo; Director: Jonathan Parker; Author: Catherine DiNapoli, Jonathan Parker; Release Date Limited: 05/24/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Outrider
Posted May 30 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!