Short of including a scratch-and-sniff hit of nitrous oxide, MGM couldn’t have done a better job packaging Blue Velvet: Special Edition, writer-director David Lynch’s ultra-kinky tale of sexual awakening. A voluptuous digital-video transfer makes every white picket fence and bug-infested blade of grass in the fictional town of Lumberton shimmer with the full, found-object mystery the director had in mind. The movie hasn’t lost its power to shock as well as mesmerize, with a juiced-up surround-sound mix delivering each psychotic pronouncement from funny-scary sadist Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper) like a blow to the chest as he snorts relaxants and abuses poor, confused chanteuse Dorothy (Isabella Rossellini) and her would-be young rescuer, Jeffrey (Kyle MacLachlan). A just-right smattering of supplements features a gallery of production photos, on-camera testimony from the crew and cast (says Laura Dern, who plays MacLachlan’s sweet second love interest: ”Why are there people…in this world…like Frank [Booth]? I mean, that’s the question we’re all asking now, man!”), and further interview snippets hidden as Easter-egg treats. More rigorously dream-logical than Lynch’s latest, ”Mulholland Drive,” and more intense and sustained than the new ”Twin Peaks” boxed video sets, ”Blue Velvet” remains a tearstained fabric swatch for all seasons.
(Blue Velvet: Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Laura Dern, Brad Dourif, Dennis Hopper, Hope Lange, Jack Nance, Isabella Rossellini, Dean Stockwell; Director: David Lynch; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dino De Laurentiis Productions
Posted June 7 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!