Short of including a scratch-and-sniff hit of nitrous oxide, MGM couldn’t have done a better job packaging Blue Velvet: Special Edition, writer-director David Lynch’s ultra-kinky tale of sexual awakening. A voluptuous digital-video transfer makes every white picket fence and bug-infested blade of grass in the fictional town of Lumberton shimmer with the full, found-object mystery the director had in mind. The movie hasn’t lost its power to shock as well as mesmerize, with a juiced-up surround-sound mix delivering each psychotic pronouncement from funny-scary sadist Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper) like a blow to the chest as he snorts relaxants and abuses poor, confused chanteuse Dorothy (Isabella Rossellini) and her would-be young rescuer, Jeffrey (Kyle MacLachlan). A just-right smattering of supplements features a gallery of production photos, on-camera testimony from the crew and cast (says Laura Dern, who plays MacLachlan’s sweet second love interest: ”Why are there people…in this world…like Frank [Booth]? I mean, that’s the question we’re all asking now, man!”), and further interview snippets hidden as Easter-egg treats. More rigorously dream-logical than Lynch’s latest, ”Mulholland Drive,” and more intense and sustained than the new ”Twin Peaks” boxed video sets, ”Blue Velvet” remains a tearstained fabric swatch for all seasons.
(Blue Velvet: Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Laura Dern, Brad Dourif, Dennis Hopper, Hope Lange, Jack Nance, Isabella Rossellini, Dean Stockwell; Director: David Lynch; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dino De Laurentiis Productions
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!