The author of the Richard Sharpe series of historical novels tries something new: a whodunit set in 1820s London and featuring Rider Sandman, a cricket-playing gentleman soldier who’s just returned from Waterloo. A hero but guinea-less, Sandman accepts a commission from the Home Secretary to confirm the guilt of a young painter convicted of raping and murdering a countess. Though innocent, the poor lad has got an appointment with the hangman in one week’s time. The quick-tempered Sandman leaps, rides, and slashes his sword to the rescue, joined by colorful cohorts straight out of Masterpiece Theatre central casting – there’s a reformed rogue, a bookish fop, a spunky virginal lady, and a saucy tart. Cornwell convincingly captures the sights, slang, and even smells of Regency England, a time when a child could be executed for a petty crime.
Gallows Thief The author of the Richard Sharpe series of historical novels tries something new: a whodunit set in 1820s London and featuring Rider Sandman, a cricket...Gallows ThiefFictionBernard Cornwell The author of the Richard Sharpe series of historical novels tries something new: a whodunit set in 1820s London and featuring Rider Sandman, a cricket...2002-06-07HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Bernard Cornwell; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted June 7 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Last Tango in Paris' director admits butter rape scene wasn't consensual
- 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' will pit Iron Man against Megaman X in 2017
- 6 show-stopping highlights from 'VH1 Divas: Unsilent Night'
- Twitter's #MakeABandLazy helps musicians settle in for a nap
- Elton John confirms there is 'no truth' to retirement rumors
- Powerful new ad spotlights gun violence warning signs people miss
- Mark Wahlberg feels 'celebrities did, do, and shouldn't' talk about politics
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big