Call him a man of letters. In the Bond flick ”Die Another Day,” due out Nov. 22, Monty Python alum John Cleese will take over as chief gadget inventor Q, replacing the late Desmond Llewelyn, who’d played the part since 1963’s ”From Russia With Love.” Despite what seemed a torch-passing scene in 1999’s ”The World Is Not Enough” – in which Cleese portrayed Llewelyn’s assistant R – the actor didn’t expect to be promoted so soon. ”They weren’t intending to say goodbye to him,” says Cleese. ”He was such fabulous company, that Desmond, and [we] had struck a deal. I was 60 when I started and Desmond was 80. So we agreed to go on together until he was 100, at which point I would have had enough experience to take over.” Cleese, clearly power-mad, offers fair warning to a certain grande dame who plays boss lady M. ”I’m going to work my way up the alphabet until I get to ‘L,”’ he pledges, ”and then I can sack Judi Dench.”
Posted June 7 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!