Adam Sandler still shows up for a movie looking as if he just rolled out of his trailer. Let other actors fuss over their wardrobe or worry about whether they’ve gained a few pounds: Sandler is Sandler, the people’s noble-slob comedian! Mr. Deeds is one of those Sandler opuses in which he plays a big-hearted, happily dysfunctional ”normal” guy. An idiot variation on Frank Capra’s ”Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” it’s a tossed-together exercise that feels sort of like the dumbest corporate comedy of 1987. Every so often, the star lets out his id by punching someone into the ground, ”Happy Gilmore”-style. All in all, though, this is Sandler running on empty, repeating what he’s already done far too often.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Winona Ryder, Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi, Conchata Ferrell, Peter Gallagher, Jared Harris, Rob Schneider, John Turturro; Director: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 06/28/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Trent Reznor: Apple Music is like going to a record store
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'