Adam Sandler still shows up for a movie looking as if he just rolled out of his trailer. Let other actors fuss over their wardrobe or worry about whether they’ve gained a few pounds: Sandler is Sandler, the people’s noble-slob comedian! Mr. Deeds is one of those Sandler opuses in which he plays a big-hearted, happily dysfunctional ”normal” guy. An idiot variation on Frank Capra’s ”Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” it’s a tossed-together exercise that feels sort of like the dumbest corporate comedy of 1987. Every so often, the star lets out his id by punching someone into the ground, ”Happy Gilmore”-style. All in all, though, this is Sandler running on empty, repeating what he’s already done far too often.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Winona Ryder, Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi, Conchata Ferrell, Peter Gallagher, Jared Harris, Rob Schneider, John Turturro; Director: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 06/28/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Watch the new music video for Jamie xx's 'Gosh'
- Lifetime is making an unauthorized 'Full House' TV movie
- Watch the first trailer for 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'
- Brian Williams might have misremembered a few more incidents
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Who will miss Janos on Game of Thrones?
- Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan joins TNA Wrestling
- 'Black-ish' creator writing 'Good Times' movie