Adam Sandler still shows up for a movie looking as if he just rolled out of his trailer. Let other actors fuss over their wardrobe or worry about whether they’ve gained a few pounds: Sandler is Sandler, the people’s noble-slob comedian! Mr. Deeds is one of those Sandler opuses in which he plays a big-hearted, happily dysfunctional ”normal” guy. An idiot variation on Frank Capra’s ”Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” it’s a tossed-together exercise that feels sort of like the dumbest corporate comedy of 1987. Every so often, the star lets out his id by punching someone into the ground, ”Happy Gilmore”-style. All in all, though, this is Sandler running on empty, repeating what he’s already done far too often.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Winona Ryder, Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi, Conchata Ferrell, Peter Gallagher, Jared Harris, Rob Schneider, John Turturro; Director: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 06/28/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'American Horror Story' season 6 teasers will make your skin crawl
- DNC: Chelsea Clinton references 'A Wrinkle in Time,' 'Police Academy'
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton