Adam Sandler still shows up for a movie looking as if he just rolled out of his trailer. Let other actors fuss over their wardrobe or worry about whether they’ve gained a few pounds: Sandler is Sandler, the people’s noble-slob comedian! Mr. Deeds is one of those Sandler opuses in which he plays a big-hearted, happily dysfunctional ”normal” guy. An idiot variation on Frank Capra’s ”Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” it’s a tossed-together exercise that feels sort of like the dumbest corporate comedy of 1987. Every so often, the star lets out his id by punching someone into the ground, ”Happy Gilmore”-style. All in all, though, this is Sandler running on empty, repeating what he’s already done far too often.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Winona Ryder, Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi, Conchata Ferrell, Peter Gallagher, Jared Harris, Rob Schneider, John Turturro; Director: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 06/28/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!