Adam Sandler still shows up for a movie looking as if he just rolled out of his trailer. Let other actors fuss over their wardrobe or worry about whether they’ve gained a few pounds: Sandler is Sandler, the people’s noble-slob comedian! Mr. Deeds is one of those Sandler opuses in which he plays a big-hearted, happily dysfunctional ”normal” guy. An idiot variation on Frank Capra’s ”Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” it’s a tossed-together exercise that feels sort of like the dumbest corporate comedy of 1987. Every so often, the star lets out his id by punching someone into the ground, ”Happy Gilmore”-style. All in all, though, this is Sandler running on empty, repeating what he’s already done far too often.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Winona Ryder, Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi, Conchata Ferrell, Peter Gallagher, Jared Harris, Rob Schneider, John Turturro; Director: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 06/28/2002; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 8 debut albums to get excited about this fall
- Salma Hayek was in a love triangle with two monkeys
- 11 duos who should host the 2016 Oscars
- See Bryan Cranston’s transformation into LBJ for HBO biopic
- 'The Good Wife' actor Dylan Baker tried to save his neighbor from a fire
- Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' to premiere in January: See first promo
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!