Paging Ponyboy. Next year will mark 20 years since the release of the troubled-teen drama The Outsiders, and director Francis Ford Coppola tells ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY he’s working on a DVD rerelease (tentatively set for spring) that will restore some 40 minutes of footage featuring the alpha-male cast – including future headliners Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, and Matt Dillon. ”When a film is under the gun to be released, you’re always under pressure to make it shorter,” says Coppola. ”This is sort of an epic.” Ralph Macchio, who played doomed do-gooder Johnny in the ’50s-set flick, confirms: ”There’s a whole story with the three brothers – Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, C. Thomas Howell – that was cut.” Coppola adds that Cruise will also get more screen time. Isn’t it about time somebody gave that kid a break?
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jennifer Aniston confronts Vanessa Bayer over Rachel impression
- Donald Trump slams 'SNL' for sketch about his tweets
- Country singer Granger Smith hospitalized after on stage fall
- New 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer has lots of Baby Groot
- Netflix announces 'Sense8' Christmas special, season 2 premiere dates
- 'The Last of Us Part II' reveal trailer shows matured Ellie and Joel
- Madonna jokes with Sean Penn about remarrying to raise money for charity
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big