In Shallow Hal, the usually antic Jack Black goes bland as Hal Larsen, a genial guy with a superficial flaw: He only goes after gorgeous women from the land of Hot. After an impromptu session with self-help coach Tony Robbins, suddenly all Hal can see is the inner beauty of people, and he finds himself smitten by beautiful but big Rosemary (Gwyneth Paltrow, emoting admirably in a fat suit). The Farrelly brothers temper their trademark gross-outs with a nice look-at-what’s-inside message, but the thin, tame jokes end up blanching this softhearted comedy.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jack Black, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jason Alexander, Anthony Robbins, Susan Ward; Director: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly; Author: Bobby Farrelly; Release Date Wide: 11/09/2001; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 12 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama dances to 'Hotline Bling' with Usher, Janelle Monáe
- Bradley Cooper visited Lady Gaga on the set of 'Saturday Night Live'
- Viola Davis to campaign in supporting actress category for 'Fences'
- DJ Khaled documented his son's birth on Snapchat
- 'Black Mirror' postmortem: Showrunner explains season 3
- Weekend box office: 'Madea' clobbers 'Jack Reacher' with $27.6 million
- 'Logan' image teases Dafne Keen as mutant X-23