Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy – just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim’s oeuvre. Now they ask, Another CD? This disc is reflective of the current brighter, slighter production: accomplished, if not outstanding, voices rendering elaborate, engaging melodies. (Vanessa Williams’ witch, unhappily, comes off as shrill.) But why not add James Lapine’s droll dialogue or Dame Judi Dench’s prerecorded (and uncredited) vocals as the giant? For a show that pushes three hours, Woods could offer more than a 70-minute memento.
Into the Woods (Soundtrack - Broadway 2002) Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy -- just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim's oeuvre. Now...Into the Woods (Soundtrack - Broadway 2002)Soundtracks Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy -- just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim's oeuvre. Now...2002-07-26
Genre: Soundtracks; Guest Performer: Judi Dench, James Lapine, Vanessa Williams; Producer (group): Nonesuch
Posted July 26 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!