Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy – just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim’s oeuvre. Now they ask, Another CD? This disc is reflective of the current brighter, slighter production: accomplished, if not outstanding, voices rendering elaborate, engaging melodies. (Vanessa Williams’ witch, unhappily, comes off as shrill.) But why not add James Lapine’s droll dialogue or Dame Judi Dench’s prerecorded (and uncredited) vocals as the giant? For a show that pushes three hours, Woods could offer more than a 70-minute memento.
Into the Woods (Soundtrack - Broadway 2002) Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy -- just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim's oeuvre. Now...Into the Woods (Soundtrack - Broadway 2002)Soundtracks Fans wondered if there was a need to revive this fairy-tale fantasy -- just 15 years old and hardly the crown jewel in Stephen Sondheim's oeuvre. Now...2002-07-26
Genre: Soundtracks; Guest Performer: Judi Dench, James Lapine, Vanessa Williams; Producer (group): Nonesuch
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More