RECENT RELEASE ”Trick Pony” (2001)
WHY THEM As members of the trio Trick Pony (with singer Heidi Newfield), Burns and Dean are hardly an overnight success: Guitarist Burns (pictured, top) was in Joe Diffie’s band and bassist Dean was playing with Tanya Tucker before they formed Trick Pony in 1996. They performed on the honky-tonk circuit without a record deal for four years. But their diligence paid off last year with three Billboard Top 10 singles from their eponymous debut (including the Billboard country No. 1 song ”On a Night Like This”). They also were named best new country group at the Academy of Country Music Awards and the American Music Awards.
WHAT’S HOT Burns in tight tees, a cowboy hat, and a permanent five o’clock shadow; Dean in floppy hats and shiny shirts – it’s like the Marlboro Man meets P-Funk.
WHAT’S NOT Dean can get too much of a glittery thing – and how does Burns move in those tight jeans?
WHAT’S NEXT Trick Pony will continue to tour as part of the Brooks & Dunn Neon Circus and Wild West Show (the best-selling country tour of the summer) through the end of this month, then at smaller venues through 2002.
Posted August 1 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother' contestants invade 'Bold and the Beautiful'
- ‘Justice League’ director celebrates Wonder Woman with new photo
- Bill Murray crashes White House press briefing to talk Cubs baseball
- 'Secrets and Lies' sneak peek: Eric and Cornell meet again
- ‘Captain Marvel’ will be ‘strongest character we’ve ever had': Marvel
- Lynda Carter, Gal Gadot reflect on 75 years of Wonder Woman
- Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn parody Beyoncé's 'Formation'