Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki’s sublime, fluid masterpiece about a 10-year-old girl lost in a shadowy amusement park for the spirits is a triumph of psychological depth and artistic brilliance offered as the magical adventures of one skinny girl. If the words ”Walt Disney Studios Presents” (and warm-pitched, English-language dubbing by American actors including Suzanne Pleshette and David Ogden Stiers) bring more viewers to this marvel – as resplendent as any in the great Disney repertory – the gods and spirits of animated cinema will smile.
Genre: Animation, Foreign Language; Starring: Daveigh Chase, Miyu Irino, Takashi Naito, Mari Natsuki; Director: Hayao Miyazaki; Author: Hayao Miyazaki; Release Date Limited: 09/20/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 130; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted October 4 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...