This is a discovery like Columbus’ discovery of America – Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious rockers Mano Negra in the ’80s. But his anthems of the dispossessed strive for internationalism. Lyrics are Spanish and English, with occasional Portuguese, French, and Italian detours; the music is a mosh pit of surging ska-punk and reggae-rock with mariachi and speed-polka flourishes. This rough-hewn, career-spanning live disc plays like a pirate-radio broadcast, and while the between-song jump cuts jar, the 29-song relay race never flags. A much cooler home-study language course than anything by Berlitz. BORDERLESS CULTURE Chao’s trademark descending-spaceship synth-squeal, which reappears throughout, is a reminder that – in the new world order – ”alien” is a slippery concept.
Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...2002-10-25
Lead Performer: Manu Chao; Producer (group): EMI Latin, Virgin
Posted October 25 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel