This is a discovery like Columbus’ discovery of America – Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious rockers Mano Negra in the ’80s. But his anthems of the dispossessed strive for internationalism. Lyrics are Spanish and English, with occasional Portuguese, French, and Italian detours; the music is a mosh pit of surging ska-punk and reggae-rock with mariachi and speed-polka flourishes. This rough-hewn, career-spanning live disc plays like a pirate-radio broadcast, and while the between-song jump cuts jar, the 29-song relay race never flags. A much cooler home-study language course than anything by Berlitz. BORDERLESS CULTURE Chao’s trademark descending-spaceship synth-squeal, which reappears throughout, is a reminder that – in the new world order – ”alien” is a slippery concept.
Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...2002-10-25
Lead Performer: Manu Chao; Producer (group): EMI Latin, Virgin
Posted October 25 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look