This is a discovery like Columbus’ discovery of America – Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious rockers Mano Negra in the ’80s. But his anthems of the dispossessed strive for internationalism. Lyrics are Spanish and English, with occasional Portuguese, French, and Italian detours; the music is a mosh pit of surging ska-punk and reggae-rock with mariachi and speed-polka flourishes. This rough-hewn, career-spanning live disc plays like a pirate-radio broadcast, and while the between-song jump cuts jar, the 29-song relay race never flags. A much cooler home-study language course than anything by Berlitz. BORDERLESS CULTURE Chao’s trademark descending-spaceship synth-squeal, which reappears throughout, is a reminder that – in the new world order – ”alien” is a slippery concept.
Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...Radio Bemba Sound System This is a discovery like Columbus' discovery of America -- Chao has been a rock hero across the Latin diaspora since he fronted Clash-conscious...2002-10-25
Lead Performer: Manu Chao; Producer (group): EMI Latin, Virgin
Posted October 25 2002 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?