The writer-director Rebecca Miller creates portraits of three highly distinct women, and virtually every second we spend with them tingles with discovery. By the end of each story, you feel as if you know the heroine’s moods, her wiles, her past, her present, and the change she’s in the midst of making without knowing it – in short, her entire life up to that moment. The actresses, all of them inspired, include Kyra Sedgwick, Fairuza Balk, and Parker Posey, who comes through with the richest performance of her career, using her bubbly charm to tap the secret spirit of a Manhattan cookbook editor who is newly alchemized by the discovery of ambition.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Fairuza Balk, Parker Posey, Kyra Sedgwick, John Ventimiglia, David Warshofsky; Director: Rebecca Miller; Author: Rebecca Miller; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted December 6 2002 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!