Mariah Carey’s Charmbracelet isn’t as charming as Jennifer Lopez’s new album, even though Carey is technically a better singer than Lopez, and she’s in fine voice here. The production, by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Jermaine Dupri, and others, is tasteful – in places, oppressively so. Carey’s predilection for windswept ballads grows tiresome quickly. ”Through the Rain,” embellished with her trademark vocal pyrotechnics, is one of those highly personal songs about finding your way out of an emotional wilderness, but it sinks in its own sodden sentimentality, as do by-the-numbers efforts like ”Yours” and ”I Only Wanted.” Thankfully, there are a few genuinely affecting moments. ”Clown” is a moody number graced with mournful acoustic guitar and a gorgeously nuanced vocal, while ”Sunflowers for Alfred Roy” is a short, sweet song sung to a lovely piano accompaniment. Carey’s love affair with rap also rears its head on ”You Got Me,” which features Jay-Z, and the herky-jerky ”Boy (I Need You),” on which Cam’ron guests, adding some welcome energy. Still, too much of ”Charmbracelet” is mired in middle-of-the-road muck.
Charmbracelet Mariah Carey's Charmbracelet isn't as charming as Jennifer Lopez's new album, even though Carey is technically a better singer than Lopez, and...CharmbraceletR&B Mariah Carey's Charmbracelet isn't as charming as Jennifer Lopez's new album, even though Carey is technically a better singer than Lopez, and...2002-12-09
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Mariah Carey; Producer (group): MonarC
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Mystery roles for Julie Delpy and Linda Cardellini
- 'The Americans' bosses on Paige, her future, and the endgame after (spoiler!)
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime movie (no, really!)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip