Cable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker (whose work stretches back to the classic ’60s comedy team of Nichols and May) has joined forces with another showbiz giant: director Stanley Donen (Singin’ in the Rain). And while it would be gratifying to report that these past masters have hit the genius mark, what emerges is an awkward production of a muddled work – with wide swaths of typically caustic/poignant May-like laughter along the way. The premise involves the comically dense members (including Danny Aiello and Jeannie Berlin) of the Heidi the Ho show, who opt to produce their own sex films. But they make the mistake of hiring a writer with lofty visions of Thornton Wilder, Arthur Miller, and Flaubert. The result: Too many big ideas leave them – and us – befuddled.
Adult EntertainmentCable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker ...Adult EntertainmentElaine MayCable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker ...2003-01-03
Starring: Danny Aiello; Director: Stanley Donen; Author: Elaine May; Opening Date: 12/11/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday