Cable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker (whose work stretches back to the classic ’60s comedy team of Nichols and May) has joined forces with another showbiz giant: director Stanley Donen (Singin’ in the Rain). And while it would be gratifying to report that these past masters have hit the genius mark, what emerges is an awkward production of a muddled work – with wide swaths of typically caustic/poignant May-like laughter along the way. The premise involves the comically dense members (including Danny Aiello and Jeannie Berlin) of the Heidi the Ho show, who opt to produce their own sex films. But they make the mistake of hiring a writer with lofty visions of Thornton Wilder, Arthur Miller, and Flaubert. The result: Too many big ideas leave them – and us – befuddled.
Adult EntertainmentCable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker ...Adult EntertainmentElaine MayCable-access porn stars get culture in this new farce from the formidable Elaine May. In mounting her play, the celebrated writer-performer-filmmaker ...2003-01-03
Starring: Danny Aiello; Director: Stanley Donen; Author: Elaine May; Opening Date: 12/11/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop