First-time author Lisa Hilton’s study of the stunning and witty Athenais de Montespan, the most infamous of Louis XIV’s mistresses, unfolds amid the dangerous liaisons of the Sun King’s court. If you can navigate the various intrigues of the French nobility, this is a fascinating look at a decadent world, in which Athenais’ seduction of the king, reign as maitresse, and scandalous downfall are chronicled in compulsive detail. Hilton’s highly sympathetic portrait casts Athenais as the heroine of a touching love story – which just happens to have taken place at the center of European civilization: ”Like all lovers, Athenais and Louis must have lain…in one another’s arms believing the world made new for them. In their case, it was true.”
Athenais: The Life of Louis XIV's Mistress, The Real Queen of France First-time author Lisa Hilton's study of the stunning and witty Athenais de Montespan, the most infamous of Louis XIV's mistresses, unfolds amid the...Athenais: The Life of Louis XIV's Mistress, The Real Queen of FranceNonfictionLisa Hilton First-time author Lisa Hilton's study of the stunning and witty Athenais de Montespan, the most infamous of Louis XIV's mistresses, unfolds amid the...2003-01-03
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Lisa Hilton
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!