Thanks to My Big Fat Greek Wedding, indie queen Nia Vardalos is consorting with an actual monarch. The actress was seated next to Queen Elizabeth at a recent dinner party in Winnipeg. ”We talked about everything from global warming to jewelry,” says Vardalos. ”She asked, ‘Do you really have this big fat Greek family?’ I said, ‘Well, I do have 27 first cousins.’ And she went, ‘Now, now. I have 23.”’ Vardalos recalls the queen dished about her own big fat royal family. ”She said, ‘You know, Philip is Greek, but he had to be de-Greeked in order for us to get married in my church – sorry about that.’ So I told her, ‘That’s all right. My husband [Felicity actor Ian Gomez] had to be Greeked. I figure we have a free trade agreement.”’
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa had a 'Game of Thrones' reunion
- Lenny Kravitz & James Franco rock out in the new 'Guitar Hero Live' commercial
- Lady Gaga's 'AHS: Hotel' role made her feel 'so alive'
- J.K. Rowling debunks 'Harry Potter' fan theories on Twitter
- Nicolas Cage doesn’t regret turning down 'Lord of the Rings' role
- Why Kate Winslet was nervous to meet the real Joanna Hoffman for 'Steve Jobs'
- See Taylor Swift and Charli XCX perform 'Boom Clap' in Toronto