Thanks to My Big Fat Greek Wedding, indie queen Nia Vardalos is consorting with an actual monarch. The actress was seated next to Queen Elizabeth at a recent dinner party in Winnipeg. ”We talked about everything from global warming to jewelry,” says Vardalos. ”She asked, ‘Do you really have this big fat Greek family?’ I said, ‘Well, I do have 27 first cousins.’ And she went, ‘Now, now. I have 23.”’ Vardalos recalls the queen dished about her own big fat royal family. ”She said, ‘You know, Philip is Greek, but he had to be de-Greeked in order for us to get married in my church – sorry about that.’ So I told her, ‘That’s all right. My husband [Felicity actor Ian Gomez] had to be Greeked. I figure we have a free trade agreement.”’
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' alum Emily Kinney joins 'Masters of Sex'
- Laura Jane Grace explains her bandmates' reaction to her coming out as transgender
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' gets covered in 20 different styles in under 5 minutes
- 'UnREAL' renewed for season 2
- Grant Morrison gives 'Heavy Metal' a punk rock facelift
- How well do you know your geek trivia? Take EW's Comic-Con quiz to find out
- 'Star Wars' at Comic-Con: What you'll see (J.J. Abrams and Co.) and what you won't (new trailer)
- Soundbites of the week: Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!