”God has left the building!” booms an offstage voice, and Dance plunges into the abyss with a giant ”spoof!” (just in case the caped ushers and bat-themed Mercedes ads in the lobby weren’t enough of a clue-in). Yes, it’s a joke, and its punchline is erstwhile Phantom of the Opera Michael Crawford as Count von Krolock, an undead Casanova with an inexplicable thatza-spicy-meat-a-ball accent. Unfortunately, that punchline arrives in Scene 1. What follows is two hours of Moron Rouge, a karaoke casserole of cheap gags, papier-mache sets, and halfhearted pop-song references. (Composer Jim Steinman tries to skip a step to instant camp, draining dry his ’80s hit ”Total Eclipse of the Heart” and tossing in a few Meatloaf references for bad measure.) By the time the vampires really start sucking – sorry, dancing – a stiff self-consciousness has set in: It’s like watching ”Thriller” performed by the cast of The Lawrence Welk Show.
Dance of the Vampires''God has left the building!'' booms an offstage voice, and Dance plunges into the abyss with a giant ''spoof!'' (just in case the caped ushers and bat...Dance of the Vampires''God has left the building!'' booms an offstage voice, and Dance plunges into the abyss with a giant ''spoof!'' (just in case the caped ushers and bat...2003-01-03
Starring: Michael Crawford; Director: John Caird, Jim Steinman; Opening Date: 11/21/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!