Goofball Rob Schneider and exec producer Adam Sandler don’t pull any punchlines. In their comedy The Hot Chick, a security guard dubs a woman busted for shoplifting ”Winona.” Sandler initially cut the joke about the legal troubles of his Mr. Deeds costar, but was persuaded to put it back ”after she was found guilty,” says Chick’s Anna Faris. (Winona Ryder was convicted Nov. 6 on felony charges of grand theft and vandalism.) For his part, Schneider thinks he’ll pay for the jab: ”I may have to send her some cashmere after this.” Ryder’s not the only Hot Chick victim: In another scene, a teenage boy mistakes a predatory voice on the phone for one Father Mulcahy. ”There are, like, eight real Father Mulcahys in California, so [Touchstone’s legal department] said we had to change it,” explains Schneider. ”But I said, ‘It’s the priest from M*A*S*H. Leave us alone.”’
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!