Goofball Rob Schneider and exec producer Adam Sandler don’t pull any punchlines. In their comedy The Hot Chick, a security guard dubs a woman busted for shoplifting ”Winona.” Sandler initially cut the joke about the legal troubles of his Mr. Deeds costar, but was persuaded to put it back ”after she was found guilty,” says Chick’s Anna Faris. (Winona Ryder was convicted Nov. 6 on felony charges of grand theft and vandalism.) For his part, Schneider thinks he’ll pay for the jab: ”I may have to send her some cashmere after this.” Ryder’s not the only Hot Chick victim: In another scene, a teenage boy mistakes a predatory voice on the phone for one Father Mulcahy. ”There are, like, eight real Father Mulcahys in California, so [Touchstone’s legal department] said we had to change it,” explains Schneider. ”But I said, ‘It’s the priest from M*A*S*H. Leave us alone.”’
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys': Ramse arc 'planned from first minute'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!