Anyone who’s ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ”How in the world did it come to this?” can find pointed answers to their query in Hine’s spirited summation on modern consumerism. Pegging our great nation of mall walkers as ”the barbarians at the checkout counter,” the cultural critic argues that shopping is more than just an easy way to blow a paycheck – it’s actually an important ritual that for centuries has helped humans fulfill their most basic needs (e.g., responsibility, self-expression, attention). In a wise move, Hine avoids shaping his tome into a capitalism-is-good treatise and instead crafts a lean study that lands somewhere between Lucky magazine and an Economics 101 textbook.
I Want That! How We All Became Shoppers Anyone who's ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ''How in the world did...I Want That! How We All Became ShoppersNonfiction, FictionThomas Hine Anyone who's ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ''How in the world did...2003-01-03
Genre: Nonfiction, Fiction; Author: Thomas Hine
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Scarlett Johansson's big weekend turns up the heat on the competition
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- Melissa Rivers says 'fighting' hurt 'Fashion Police'
- Lupita Nyong'o's 'Star Wars' character name revealed
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!