Anyone who’s ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ”How in the world did it come to this?” can find pointed answers to their query in Hine’s spirited summation on modern consumerism. Pegging our great nation of mall walkers as ”the barbarians at the checkout counter,” the cultural critic argues that shopping is more than just an easy way to blow a paycheck – it’s actually an important ritual that for centuries has helped humans fulfill their most basic needs (e.g., responsibility, self-expression, attention). In a wise move, Hine avoids shaping his tome into a capitalism-is-good treatise and instead crafts a lean study that lands somewhere between Lucky magazine and an Economics 101 textbook.
I Want That! How We All Became Shoppers Anyone who's ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ''How in the world did...I Want That! How We All Became ShoppersNonfiction, FictionThomas Hine Anyone who's ever tussled over the last remaining bargain buy in the middle of an overheated, overcrowded Wal-Mart and pondered, ''How in the world did...2003-01-03
Genre: Nonfiction, Fiction; Author: Thomas Hine
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!