Only screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally…), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron could have written this amusing one-act satire on the vicious relationship between the late writers Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy. Problem is, the show has been stretched into two acts with superfluous songs (by Marvin Hamlisch and excellent lyricist Craig Carnelia) and a few sessions’ worth of dubious psychoanalysis. Swoosie Kurtz as Hellman and the breathtaking Cherry Jones as McCarthy couldn’t be better, and when they’re going at each other with exposed claws and sharpened fangs the show’s a delight. When they’re not, it’s a puzzle.
Imaginary FriendsOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...Imaginary FriendsNora EphronOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...2003-01-03
Starring: Cherry Jones, Swoosie Kurtz; Director: Jack O'Brien; Author: Nora Ephron; Opening Date: 12/12/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Here's what the critics are saying about 'Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain'
- Need to catch 'Empire'? Fox airing a full-season marathon on Labor Day
- 'The View': Rosie Perez says she would return for a 'visit'
- J.K. Rowling sorts James Sirius Potter and Teddy Lupin into Hogwarts houses
- Good news, Leslie Knope: Hillary Clinton is a fan of 'Parks and Rec'
- See a supercut of shrieks from Wes Craven's filmography
- See Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore in 'Miss You Already' trailer
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!