Only screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally…), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron could have written this amusing one-act satire on the vicious relationship between the late writers Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy. Problem is, the show has been stretched into two acts with superfluous songs (by Marvin Hamlisch and excellent lyricist Craig Carnelia) and a few sessions’ worth of dubious psychoanalysis. Swoosie Kurtz as Hellman and the breathtaking Cherry Jones as McCarthy couldn’t be better, and when they’re going at each other with exposed claws and sharpened fangs the show’s a delight. When they’re not, it’s a puzzle.
Imaginary FriendsOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...Imaginary FriendsNora EphronOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...2003-01-03
Starring: Cherry Jones, Swoosie Kurtz; Director: Jack O'Brien; Author: Nora Ephron; Opening Date: 12/12/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Alyssa Milano and 'Hacktivist' writers dish on comics and technology
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- Ivan Reitman releases statement on 'Ghostbusters' franchise
- 'Xena: Warrior Princess' stars reunite on Instagram
- 'The Good Wife's Archie Panjabi to guest-star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!