Only screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally…), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron could have written this amusing one-act satire on the vicious relationship between the late writers Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy. Problem is, the show has been stretched into two acts with superfluous songs (by Marvin Hamlisch and excellent lyricist Craig Carnelia) and a few sessions’ worth of dubious psychoanalysis. Swoosie Kurtz as Hellman and the breathtaking Cherry Jones as McCarthy couldn’t be better, and when they’re going at each other with exposed claws and sharpened fangs the show’s a delight. When they’re not, it’s a puzzle.
Imaginary FriendsOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...Imaginary FriendsNora EphronOnly screenwriter (When Harry Met Sally...), director (Sleepless in Seattle), and notorious wit (at half the dinner parties in Manhattan) Nora Ephron...2003-01-03
Starring: Cherry Jones, Swoosie Kurtz; Director: Jack O'Brien; Author: Nora Ephron; Opening Date: 12/12/2002
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jesse McCartney admits he's 'not a computer person,' carpools with 'Young & Hungry' co-star
- Bill Paxton talks 'Texas Rising': 'I believe I was born to play Sam Houston'
- Arya ready? 'Game of Thrones' fave Maisie Williams on life as wildest woman in Westeros
- Herman Wouk to release memoir in honor of 100th birthday
- Billy Eichner and Martin Short yell at strangers—for a good cause
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' Netflix revival: 8 new photos
- Watch Weird Al portray Jesus Christ in a silent film
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!