The ”Scheme” is this: A battalion of wage earners putter around town from warehouse to warehouse in specially designed ”UniVans,” solely to pick up or drop off the replacement parts that keep their UniVans running. Mills’ nameless narrator is a veteran driver and happy cheerleader (”For without a doubt the UniVan was a glorious creation!”) who, like Mills, is pretty content just loping around amiably from point A to point B and back. Mills, called ”the acknowledged contemporary master of the working-class dystopic parable” on the same dust jacket that reprints a rare blurb from Thomas Pynchon, runs capitalist utopia through a hamster wheel, crafting a wry tale just a bit too subtle and straight; it might’ve broken more of a sweat.
The Scheme For Full Employment The ''Scheme'' is this: A battalion of wage earners putter around town from warehouse to warehouse in specially designed ''UniVans,'' solely to pick...The Scheme For Full EmploymentFictionMagnus Mills The ''Scheme'' is this: A battalion of wage earners putter around town from warehouse to warehouse in specially designed ''UniVans,'' solely to pick...2003-01-03
Genre: Fiction; Author: Magnus Mills
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!