Director Adrian Lyne turns the Fatal Attraction tables and presents a housewife (the luminous Lane) who cheats on her devoted husband (Gere) with a sketchy French hunk (Olivier Martinez). But said hunk is hardly a bunny boiler, and that’s where things get interesting. Here, the enemy is simply conscience, which makes for an earthy, claustrophobic story. Unfaithful is also so faithful to detail – a powder blue sweater as a symbol of penance, the reappearance of a snow globe – that you’ll never feel like you’re watching just for the performances.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Richard Gere, Diane Lane, Chad Lowe, Olivier Martinez; Director: Adrian Lyne; Author: William Broyles Jr., Susannah Grant; Release Date Wide: 05/10/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room