Director Adrian Lyne turns the Fatal Attraction tables and presents a housewife (the luminous Lane) who cheats on her devoted husband (Gere) with a sketchy French hunk (Olivier Martinez). But said hunk is hardly a bunny boiler, and that’s where things get interesting. Here, the enemy is simply conscience, which makes for an earthy, claustrophobic story. Unfaithful is also so faithful to detail – a powder blue sweater as a symbol of penance, the reappearance of a snow globe – that you’ll never feel like you’re watching just for the performances.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Richard Gere, Diane Lane, Chad Lowe, Olivier Martinez; Director: Adrian Lyne; Author: William Broyles Jr., Susannah Grant; Release Date Wide: 05/10/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 124; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!