The latest installment of this fighting franchise is back in all of its red-hued gory, uh, glory. Yet, no matter how realistically the blood gushes from Sub-Zero’s severed head, it still evokes a kinder, gentler age of Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In fairness, Deadly Alliance is much more than a wistful nostalgia trip: Each of Earthrealm’s heroes now has three ”Kombat” styles to aid in vanquishing the lost army of the Dragon King, which has been brought back to life by the joined forces of evil sorcerers Shang Tsung and Quan Chi. Samurai Saturday, anyone? That’s always been part of ”Mortal Kombat”’s appeal. But in the past, the game was the sole domain of the masters who used shaolin finger technique to tap sophisticated combo sequences and bust out the special moves. The new fighting system gives haphazard button-mashers at least a decent chance of survival, plus the ability to handicap rounds when playing against a more experienced foe. The ”fatalities” have become gloriously operatic, too: Anyone familiar with the original game will appreciate the in-jokes, like when Kano pulls out his opponent’s heart – and every other internal organ. There’s also a ”Kurrency” that can be used to unlock items in the ”Krypt” and other ”Kontent” – all of which, in case you haven’t noticed, begin with the letter K. And that’s the rub: ”Mortal Kombat” may have grown up, but it didn’t mature at all.
Posted January 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- How the faith-based drama 'War Room' became a sleeper hit
- The Unauthorized O.C. Musical: Ranking the musical numbers
- A fourth-grade teacher turned his classroom into the ultimate Kanye West tribute
- Wes Craven: A horror legend who pushed limits
- Miley Cyrus was 'cursing in anger' after Nicki Minaj VMA moment
- Lupita Nyong'o, Bernie Sanders among week 2 guests for Stephen Colbert
- VMAs ratings drop with Miley Cyrus
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!