A clever, charming con man outwits police buffoons and pulls off a major heist. Don’t yawn yet – this time, it’s set in Ireland! Spacey unleashes a lovely brogue here (unlike movie wife Fiorentino, who sounds, um… Swedish?) and gives a nicely undercooked performance. But, boy oh boy, does this film not deserve it. The uninventive twists, inexplicable IRA subplots, and unbelievable deus ex machinas beg the question: Do they think we’re eejits? For a better take on the exact same material, see John Boorman’s ”The General.”
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Linda Fiorentino, Kevin Spacey, Helen Baxendale, Stephen Dillane, Colin Farrell, David Hayman, Peter Mullan; Director: Thaddeus O'Sullivan; Author: Gerard Stembridge; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Taylor Schilling on her swingers comedy 'The Overnight': 'The payoff is a lot of sweetness'
- See the schedule for Comic-Con's TV panels
- The best and worst of the music streaming wars
- America Ferrera thanks Donald Trump for mobilizing Latino voters
- Bill Cosby: No charges in Atlantic City case
- 'Lost' showrunner Carlton Cuse talks 'Colony'
- Liam Hemsworth photobombed Jeff Goldblum on the 'Independence Day Resurgence' set