Edward Norton plays Monty, a yuppie drug dealer who has one day to go before submitting to a seven-year prison stretch, and the role plays right into Norton’s gift for letting brainy anxiety detonate just beneath the surface of a scene. The director, Spike Lee, stages a long, bravura nightclub sequence in which Monty and his two old pals let their guards down, and we see that Monty, for all the superficial acceptance of his fate, is living in a frozen state of terror and denial. There are some contrivances, but the movie is held together by the toughness and pity of Lee’s gaze.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Edward Norton, Brian Cox, Rosario Dawson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin, Barry Pepper, Aaron Stanford; Director: Spike Lee; Author: David Benioff; Producer (person): Tobey Maguire; Release Date Limited: 12/20/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fifth Harmony rock out in a haunted hotel in 'I'm in Love With a Monster' video
- 'Bones' taps Betty White as new squintern
- Angelina Jolie Pitt's 'By the Sea' will open AFI Fest
- George R. R. Martin says Stannis is still alive — in the books
- Michelle Pfeiffer to play Bernie Madoff's wife in HBO's 'Wizard of Lies'
- Post-apocalyptic survivors tool up in exclusive clip from 'Turbo Kid'
- New 'Homeland' season 5 trailer: Carrie can't escape her past
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!