Edward Norton plays Monty, a yuppie drug dealer who has one day to go before submitting to a seven-year prison stretch, and the role plays right into Norton’s gift for letting brainy anxiety detonate just beneath the surface of a scene. The director, Spike Lee, stages a long, bravura nightclub sequence in which Monty and his two old pals let their guards down, and we see that Monty, for all the superficial acceptance of his fate, is living in a frozen state of terror and denial. There are some contrivances, but the movie is held together by the toughness and pity of Lee’s gaze.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Edward Norton, Brian Cox, Rosario Dawson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin, Barry Pepper, Aaron Stanford; Director: Spike Lee; Author: David Benioff; Producer (person): Tobey Maguire; Runtime (in minutes): 134; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- First look at the new 'Ghostbusters' uniforms
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- Chris Pratt as Jason Statham in now-surfaced 'SNL' deleted sketch
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!