In Blue Crush, hottie head case Anne Marie (Kate Bosworth) struggles to get over her issues and win Hawaii’s pipe-surfing competition. It’s like a shallower, brighter ”8 Mile” for girls, except that Bosworth is no Eminem in the charisma department, and the subplots must have been brainstormed by a liquored-up teen focus group at the Maui Marriott: Rich, diarrhea-prone, African-American NFL stars trash hotel room, unnerving our surfer/maid heroine. Apologetic white NFL hunk (Matt Davis) then pays her for surfing lessons. She’s so stoked she sleeps with him! Still, there’s no denying that the unforgettable wave footage outshines the silly plot.
(Blue Crush: Photofest)
Genre: Romance, Action/Adventure; Starring: Kate Bosworth, Sanoe Lake, Michelle Rodriguez, Mika Boorem, Matthew Davis, Faizon Love; Director: John Stockwell; Author: Lizzy Weiss; Producer (person): Brian Grazer; Release Date Wide: 08/16/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday
- Carey Mulligan praises Jennifer Lawrence’s wage gap essay