In Blue Crush, hottie head case Anne Marie (Kate Bosworth) struggles to get over her issues and win Hawaii’s pipe-surfing competition. It’s like a shallower, brighter ”8 Mile” for girls, except that Bosworth is no Eminem in the charisma department, and the subplots must have been brainstormed by a liquored-up teen focus group at the Maui Marriott: Rich, diarrhea-prone, African-American NFL stars trash hotel room, unnerving our surfer/maid heroine. Apologetic white NFL hunk (Matt Davis) then pays her for surfing lessons. She’s so stoked she sleeps with him! Still, there’s no denying that the unforgettable wave footage outshines the silly plot.
(Blue Crush: Photofest)
Genre: Romance, Action/Adventure; Starring: Kate Bosworth, Sanoe Lake, Michelle Rodriguez, Mika Boorem, Matthew Davis, Faizon Love; Director: John Stockwell; Author: Lizzy Weiss; Producer (person): Brian Grazer; Release Date Wide: 08/16/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted January 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!