– HOMETOWN Ottawa
– DEBUT ALBUM Failer
– MATHEMATICAL DESCRIPTION OF HER SOUND Lucinda Williams x Sarah McLachlan
– WHY WE THINK YOU SHOULD BUY HER ALBUM Like Williams, she has an addictively gritty voice and a knack for emotional specificity.
– WHY SHE THINKS YOU SHOULD BUY HER ALBUM ”Because everyone who has isn’t disappointed,” says the 24-year-old singer-songwriter. ”But maybe no one has the balls to tell me they hate it.”
– WHY YOU’RE NOT HEARING HER ON MAINSTREAM RADIO Well, she does have a tune called ”One More Song the Radio Won’t Like.” ”I wrote that more about labels than radio,” she says. ”It’s a little bit of a f – - you to the people who felt the record wouldn’t go anywhere without a big, glossy single.”
– ODDS SHE’LL GO PLATINUM 30 to 1
– WHY SHE THINKS YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO HER INSTEAD OF SHANIA TWAIN ”I write and produce my own stuff. I can’t speak for Shania Twain, but a lot of people in mainstream music these days allow other people to formulate their music.”
– WHAT’S NEXT A video for her single ”Six O’Clock News” and lots of touring.
– WHAT SHE’LL BE DOING IN 10 YEARS ”I hope I sound like Eminem,” she jokes. ”I’ll be doing what I’m doing today. Playing music is a great job.”